Tuesday, March 10, 2009

25 weeks

Well, here we are a week later! Yay!

I saw the good doctor today and here's a little update. He wants me to stay on the motrin (600 mg every 6-8 hours) for the next week. It seems to work fairly well, doesn't take away the contractions alltogether but does lessen them as well as decreases the cramping. I should be laying down as much as I can. (easier said than done of course but Brad is acting as the bedrest police) :)

Next Tuesday I will have an ultrasound to check the fluid levels because the nsaid's (non-steroidal anti-infamalory drugs) like motrin can affect the baby's fluid and if it has decreased then I will need to switch medications. So far the doctor seems to think that there is enough fluid yet, I measure about 2 weeks bigger than I am at. Great news, another big Kuik baby :)

The doctor also discussed the benefits of starting a course of steroid shots (2 shots administered 24 hours apart) sometime in the next weeks. He may send me for an consult appt. in Seattle with a perinatologist (high-risk OB doctor) before doing that or switching medications. The benefits of the steroid shots (which I have had with the last two pregnancies) are quicker lung development for the baby. They do nothing for PTL (pre-term labor) or for the mother but are just to benefit the baby. The thing is they have the most effect when used within two weeks of delivery. They still have some effect after that but not as significant and they can only (should only) be given once in the pregnancy. So it's always a bit of a debate to decide when is a good time to administer. The doctor of course would like to see me stay pregnant for another 8+ weeks, as would I but also neither of us want to lose that window of opportunity to administer the steroids.

So, he'll see me again in one week, right after the ultrasound to decide on some of those things, providing that I behave this week and things are still going fairly well.

Thanks for keeping our family and our little one in your prayers!

hugs,
Kristi

No comments: